Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Roast Named Chuck

Tonight's Dinner Was:
Braised Pot Roast and Garden Salad

So I actually took the chuck roast I got on sale a couple of weeks ago out of the freezer on Monday so it could thaw. Although I planned to cook this in the slow cooker I didn't get started until noon. Slow cooker pot roasts take about 8-9 hours; 8pm might be a little late for dinner, plus DH and kids probably would be starving by then. Anyway, I found this Tyler Florence recipe stashed in my makeshift cookbook. It's actually a photo album that I've cut out recipes in and instead of pictures--voila!--cookbook! I've had this cookbook for about 10 years now and I consider it to be so valuable, I'll probably leave it to my oldest daughter in my will.

Anyway, here's what I did:

  • Seasoned 1 side of the roast w/kosher salt, grill seasoning, and a little pepper.
  • In a dutch oven, add about 2 tbsp. olive oil over med/high heat.
  • When oil is hot dropped roast in seasoned side down (very carefully...the oil pops!)
  • Seasoned the other side of the roast.
  • When the first side had a nice crust on it, I flipped it over and got the "crust" on the other side.
  • Added to the pot: 1 can of crushed tomatoes. (I think a 14oz. can works best, I used 28oz. and there was a little too much liquid.), 1 cup of water (I'll decrease the water too next time, or use beef broth), 1 cup of sliced carrots (I like them a little bit on the rustic side--kind of thick), sliced mushrooms, 1 clove chopped garlic, and 2 stalks of celery sliced (rustic-style here too).
  • Seasoned all w/salt, pepper and 1 tsp. of dried thyme.
  • Bring to boil, then turn down to a simmer for 3 hours.
  • Take the roast out and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
To serve, I just take a few slices to each plate and then scoop some of the veggies from the pot, with the tomato gravy and pour over the meat...

Served w/salad mix from the bag with grape tomatoes and some of the leftover sliced mushrooms.

This meal went over pretty well. The kids said they liked it (of course they say the same about almost everything). It was a nice warm, comforting meal on a windy, rainy day like today.

Then it was time to head out for a meeting at the school. A mother's work...

No comments:

Post a Comment