Monday, February 9, 2009

A Father's Promise

I just finished watching this documentary on MSNBC and was deeply touched. As a prior single mom I understand the problems and issues that the mothers go through with not having a father for their children. However, I felt the most compassion for these children with their varying degrees of unhappiness with their father's participation in their lives. One young man made excuses for his dad, stating that "He was a poet and sometimes would be working on poem a poem for days at a time." I was thinking to myself "Wow, what kind of man is this letting his son make excuses for him." Another young man described his dad as being evil and the young lady stated that she never wanted to get married or have children. It was deeply troubling and I had a hard time understanding the mentality of the men here, but like the father of my two oldest, I've just stopped trying to understand it. My only focus is the health and welfare of my kids. They are beautiful, better off and blessed. My husband has been great and is the best father they'll ever know. I pray for all kids who don't have their biological fathers in their lives and for the fathers who are so blind that they can't recognize the beauty of God in their children.