Wednesday, May 13, 2009

On "just looking"....





Ok, so I'm not one of those high pressure sales people. However, I love people and I really like lending my expertise (or giving my opinion, whatever you want to call it). Granted, I just work in a retail store, but I really do like my job. I like checking out the new inventory when it comes in, I like the training the higher-ups give us about the products and vendors, and I work for a company I believe in.

Yes, I do have a goal (aka quota) to meet in order to keep my job. I'm ok, with that...usually I do just fine. As a matter of fact, I think all people in service jobs should work on commission. Can you imagine the difference if the people at fast food restaurants or Wal-Mart worked on commission? How they would go out of their way to make sure you were taken care of? It would be a whole different ball game right?

Here's my issue.. a customer walks through the door and I smile and say, "Hello! Welcome to ________. What can I help you find today?" The answer is, "I'm just looking!!" Sometimes when the weather's bad or the Cardinals just won I might say, "Hi, how about this weather?" or "How about those Cards?" Those customers still just say, "I'm just looking!" What? C'mon! You totally have a phobia of salespeople if you are so strong that you have to say "I'm just looking!" to whatever question the salesperson asks.

Now I know we have a bad reputation for being pushy and I hate that myself, but we're not all like that. Give us a chance!! Some of us are really nice people, have a lot of knowledge, will give you great customer service, and aren't pushy at all!

I don't mind if a customer says, "Hey, I'm just going to look around and I'll come get you if I need some help." Completely respectable! I'll stay available for you. I certainly appreciate honesty and that you don't want some salesperson following you around the store. Just stop saying, "just looking" if you're seriously considering a purchase.

I'm not asking that people automatically trust salespeople....just give us a chance! We're trying to make a living like the next American!

Feel free to leave me any comments about your experiences with salespeople whether good or bad.

Thanks for listening...

--Jen

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so I love people, too. And I love shopping. But if I am on a 'just looking' trip, I feel hemmed in by salespeople. And I assume you work on commission, so I sincerely do not want you wasting time on a non-spender like me. I feel bad. I have even said, "don't waste your time on me, I'm just a looky-loo today!" or "Don't mind me, I'm just in for the scenery!" because I want the salesperson to nab the lady who DOES have money and an intention to use.

    So next time, don't be offended, that potential customer probably just doesn't want to waste your precious time!!

    P.S. Catch you on Twitter!! www.proactiveblackparenting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Gina! That's kind of the point I'm trying to make. Don't look at us as someone just trying to get commission. We really don't look at people who are just looking as "time-wasters". We really hope that "just lookers" will be impressed enough with our help and expertise that they will come back and ask for us if they should ever return to buy something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I frequent the same store twice a week. The same sales ladies come and ask me 5 minutes a part if I need help. No, I kindly say and also point out that if I need something I sure will ask. No more than 4 minutes later I get asked again.

    Now there has been a few times I will call the store ahead of time and ask a specific question and run in and be asked and I say I just called I need your help, Then I don't mind so much.

    Other than that I am never rude to them. I too was a sales lady and know how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I know this is an older post, but it tickled me. As a librarian, I have the same gripe sometimes. People REALLY seem to not like to be assisted in libraries. I don't get it. It's like, come on, I know this place a little bit better than you do, and you've rounded the stacks about 12424 times...let me help you. LOL Cool post.

    ReplyDelete